Wednesday, November 17, 2004

:: Wisdom ::

"Grandma? Why didn't you tell me you had a fall?"
"Silly girl, it's a small thing, and I didn't want to worry you."
"But if you've told me, I'd have gone to see you, or go with you to the doctor..."
"Like I said, it's a small thing. And anyway, you have other things on your mind."
"It's not important! I only have one grandma you know."
"It's just a fall. I have fallen many times, and I'll probably fall again. I'm still walking, aren't I?"

***

It's funny how we forget the childhood wisdom we once lived and breathed. Once upon a time, standing up after a fall was something we all did. I had tumbled down drains, fallen off pavements, tripped down stairs; my knees and elbows have been scraped and skinned and bruised, my arm has been broken, a finger stitched, my forehead scarred - but I never had a problem standing up, and standing tall again. I won't let this be an exception, even if the heart will probably take a much, much longer time to heal after the beating it's been given. But I know it will.

***

So school started again last night: I fell back into the old routine of flying out of the office a little after six, with many apologies to the Boss; saying hellos with the annoying cheerfulness that bordered on plastic; collecting random thoughts while trying to concentrate on some far-out theory like post-modernism.

You never like me to say thank you, because you detest formality. I never like to not say it, because I don't mean 'thank you' with gushing sentimentality; I mean it in the most honest way. Looking through the world - this new world now - with our empty beer bottles and macabre humour is a balm in itself. I hope you heal sooner than later, and I hope I heal right along with you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home